Greetings and a much belated Happy New Year to all of you. As I reported in my last blog post, the Ascend Team met a challenge I issued to them last year. With your cooperation they got over 90% of our locations to upgrade to version 2.5. It was no small feat. To date over 875 locations have updated. If you’re among the few locations that haven’t, please give our team a call and they’ll be happy to take care of you.
On January 3rd I delivered on my promise and got my blue crew cut and mustache. As you can see, it was not a pretty sight. But I was happy to recognize all of the hard work that everyone put in to make this happen.
The budget feature in Ascend Analytics is an outstanding way to set targets for your staff and to keep you on pace to reach your goals. It’s very simple to use as well. Already 40% of your have entered your 2013 budgets. That is fantastic! But that means 60% of you haven’t. So while you have time, go to our Analytics Help Page for step-by-step instructions on creating a new financial budget. If you need more help, feel free to contact the Ascend Support Team.
On behalf of the entire Ascend Team I’d like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thank you for a wonderful 2012. Together we’ve accomplished some great things. We’re looking forward to an exciting 2013.
I’ll Have A Blue Christmas Because of You
Back in September we released Version 2.5. Since this was the last release before Version 3, we wanted to get everyone on it. I challenged the team to get 90% of our locations on 2.5 by December 31st. If they did, they could give me a crew cut and color it blue. Then along came Movember and I threw in my mustache for good measure.
I am happy (?) to report that last Friday (12/14) the goal was reached! Thank you to everyone for joining us. If you’re part of the 9% that isn’t on 2.5, give the Support Team a call and we’ll be happy to help you get there.
So with a bet being a bet, I arranged for my personal stylist to come to the office yesterday for the ceremonial cut and color. Unfortunately a blizzard hit and foiled our plans. So I’m blue that I have to wear this mustache for another two weeks. My blue hair will have to wait until January.
Onward to 2013 and Version 3!
Our progress continues on Ascend Version 3. As with most major projects we’ve had some surprises and things are taking longer than expected. We’re focussing all of our energy on providing a fast and reliable system to carry us all into the future. We’re targeting the 2nd half of 2013 for release. Sometime after the 1st of the year our Ascend Sales Team will begin using V3 to run our own day-to-day software business. I’ll be sure to let you know when that happens.
In the meantime there are plenty of things you can do to get ready for V3. This is a first in series of blogs detailing steps you can take now to be ready to upgrade.
- Upgrade to Version 2.5: Before you can upgrade to V3 you need to be on Version 2.5. Many of you already are. Some of you aren’t. Our goal is to have 90% on Version 2.5 by the end of December. It’s a tall task but we’re getting close. If we hit the goal, I’ve agreed to get an Ascend Blue crew cut. And, as an added bonus, I will also dye my Movember Mustache blue. Currently you have to stand a foot away from me to see it. But trust me, by the end of December, it will be awesome! Don’t worry. There will be pictures.
- Replace your old hardware: If you have any of this hardware it’s time to think about replacing it:
- Windows XP PC’s
- Epson III Receipt Printers
- Cognitive Del Sol Label Printers
- Verfione 1000SE Serial Port PIN Pads
If you need help with either of these steps feel free to call us, email us or visit us at www.ascendrms.com.
By our estimates bike retailers have email addresses, on average, for about 20% of their customers. Many have more than that. Some retailers have over 90%. Here are 4 simple things they do to collect more addresses.
- Ask: As my mom always told me, you don’t get something unless you ask for it. Ask your customers when they’re checking out if you can add them to your email list. Make sure you have a prominent link on your website to subscribe to your mailing list. People are protective of their addresses. So if simply asking doesn’t work, give them a reason to want to give it to you. The next 3 ways will give them a reason.
- “Your bike is ready to pick up”: When people drop off their bike for service, ask them if you can email them when it’s ready. Incidentally, with our new SMS integration, this has also been a very popular way to get customers’ mobile numbers.
- “Your order is in”: When people place an order for a special item, ask them if you can email them when it arrives.
- “Can we email you a copy of your receipt?”: The Apple Stores have been doing this for quite a while. Many other stores are doing the same . You can too. Every time the Change Due window appears, your employees should ask the customer if they can email the receipt to them.
We wish you and your families a Happy Thanksgiving. We are thankful to have you as our customers.
To our customers living in the wake of Hurricane Sandy: We hope you’re safe and sound and your lives are returning to normal. If there’s any way we can help, please let us know.
Earlier this year my neighbor’s house was gutted by fire. Fortunately they were well insured and most everything has been replaced. At the time of the fire, he was most upset about losing his computer. It had many valuable files and photos on it that weren’t backed up anywhere else. Once the fire was under control, he asked the fire fighters if they could retrieve the computer. By some miracle the computer was spared and he was able to get the files off of it. He was lucky.
Think about the days, weeks, months and years of data you’ve created in Ascend. How valuable is that information to you? Think about how quickly it could disappear if your computer hard drive fails or, worse yet, some other disaster strikes.
I’m asking you this week to verify your Ascend back-up plan. Make sure you’re backing up your database at the end of each business day. Make sure you have a copy stored offsite. If the worst happens and you have a back-up file, our Ascend Support Team can get you up and running quickly.
One of the benefits to look forward to with Version 3 is automatic back-ups. Since we’re hosting the databases for you, we’ll make sure they’re backed up every night. Until then, please make sure your back-up plan is being followed.
As we approach November, it’s time to dust off your end of year to-do lists. Here are 4 things to add.
- Prepare for your holiday sale: Make sure to use the On Sale function in Ascend to set your sale prices. Also check to see that you have enough gift cards on hand and that your staff knows how to use them.
- Get ready to count everything: Counting everything in your store is an expensive exercise. When you get to counting day, you want to make sure it’s a productive exercise too. Start planning and training now at our Inventory Training page. If you want hands on training, sign-up for Inventory Fantasy Camp.
- Set your 2013 budget: The budget feature in Ascend Analytics is an outstanding way to set targets for your staff and to keep you on pace to reach your goals. It’s very simple to use as well. Go to our Analytics Help Page for step-by-step instructions on creating a new financial budget.
- Inspect your hardware: Take a look at all of your PC’s, bar code scanners, receipt printers and label printers. Decide which ones are good for another year and which need to be replaced. If you’re not sure they’re up to spec, check out our approved hardware page.
And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter (@AscendUSA) as well!
Windows 8 is coming on October 26th. Here’s what you need to know about Ascend and Windows 8.
Ascend and all of our certified peripherals work fine on Windows 8. Our Ascend installer, however, does not run on it. We had to install Ascend on a Windows 7 PC first and then upgrade to Windows 8. So, if you need to buy a new Ascend PC now, buy it with Windows 7 and the ability to upgrade to 8. Our plan is to have a Windows 8 Ascend installer out by December.
If you want to run Ascend Analytics or Online Reports on Windows 8, you’ll need to run Internet Explorer 10 in “Compatibility View”. To change that setting, go to the Tools menu (Alt+T), select “Compatibility View Settings”, click the Add button and then click Close to exit that window. Complete this process for both sites. This is a one time change. You won’t have to do this again for either site.
As a side note, Microsoft is ending Windows XP support on April 8th, 2014. Ascend will also not support XP after that date. We recommend you set your budgets to replace any XP PC’s you have by the end of 2013.
As always, please feel free to contact our Ascend Support Team if you need further assistance.
We need your help spreading the word about our weekly blog. With Ascend Version 3 on the way, it’s important that you and your fellow employees stay informed.
Once we release Version 3, it’s our goal to get everyone on it as soon as possible. We want it to be an easy transition for you. We want to prepare you for the migration from Version 2 to 3 and let you know the differences to expect. This blog will be our primary channel to communicate this information to you.
Please forward this blog link to your employees and co-workers that need to be in the know. We publish a new entry every Tuesday. If you want to be notified when a new version is posted, do one of the following:
- Follow us on Twitter (@AscendUSA).
- Get added to our email list. Send your address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
With a nod to the old Coca-Cola campaign, I’m officially announcing that “Chrome Is It!”. Google Chrome is the official web browser of Ascend Version 3.
Why only one browser?
My decisions regarding the development of Ascend are guided by the following principles:
- We will maximize the time we spend programming new features and improvements.
- We will deliver them to our customers as quickly as possible.
- We will deliver a quality product.
Supporting multiple web browsers works against these principles in several ways:
- Extra time would have to be spent programming each new enhancement. Our programmers would have to make sure every browser is accounted for.
- We thoroughly test every new feature. Our testers would have to repeat their tests in every browser we support.
- We would likely have to spend additional time fixing bugs because of differences between browsers.
- We create automated scripts to make sure that everything that was working fine before is still working after making changes (aka Regression Testing). Our testers would have to create and maintain a set of scripts for each browser.
We chose Google Chrome as our official web browser for several reasons.
Version 2.5 Update:
We released Version 2.5 to everyone on October 1st. Nearly 400 locations have upgraded so far. If you haven’t joined them yet, click here for full details on what to do next.
Inventory Fantasy Camp:
Our spots are filling up for our November and December camps. Click here for details and instructions on reserving your spot.
Have a great week!
With Version 2.5 we’ve made it easier to sell and register Red Shield extended warranty contracts.
Previously, to register the contracts you had to get out of Ascend and go into Dexter. That either slowed down the sales process or meant that the contracts had to be entered later on. Because of that some contracts were never registered.
Now when you add a Red Shield SKU to a sale, Ascend will automatically bring up the registration screen. As an added bonus, it will automatically fill in the customer information you’ve already entered in Ascend. For verification purposes, you will still need to manually enter the bike and Red Shield SKU information on the second registration screen.
If you’re not registered to sell Red Shield contracts, contact your Financial Services Representative to get set up.
If you are already registered, make sure your employees are offering to sell contracts with every Trek bike sale.
Version 2.5 is currently in our early release period. Over 70 locations have updated and are using the new version. We will make it available to everyone to download on 9/17. We will offer overview webinars on 9/18 and 9/19. Watch here for more details.